Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Auto Creation of New Record

tonyMONK

I am new to Filemaker (fm pro 7) so please go easy on me!

I'm creating a client table on which I want information to appear that is in a different table e.g. contact phone numbers.

I know that this can be done by incorporating a portal to the table layout, but I want to do this via a button i.e. click on the button and the portal appears, so that the portal does not actually appear on the layout.

To try and do this I've created a new table and layout, using the client number as the key field, but with no other fields on the table. I've then created the portal on that layout. I've then linked the 2 layouts by way of a button on the client layout. This works OK provided the client number appears on the portal layout. However, the client number won't appear there unless it's been separately created.

My question is, when creating a new client, how can I get the client number to appear as a new record on the portal layout? As far as I can see this boils down to the more general question of how to automatically create a clone record in another table.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Tony,

Why not simply make another layout of the same table that will hold the portal. All you have to do is switch layouts to make the portal appear. You can do that with a button also. No reason for an extra table.

Unless I misunderstand your intention.

Kjoe

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.