Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

FM 8.0 and e-mails

nrsmd

I have a text field that holds an e-mail address for each client. I want to be able to set up a script that, when I choose, I can send an e-mail. That is, I want to have the e-mail address in my database be transferred to the address box of my yahoo account.

This may seem simple, but I am lost on this issue.

Thanks

I want to have the e-mail address in my database be transferred to the address box of my yahoo account.

You might have to translate that into English for me. Or pretend I'm stoopid. Do you use a normal email program and you happen to have an email address that is something@yahoo.com? And by "address box" you mean the "To" header of your email program?

Option One

Open URL ["mailto:"&YourTable::YourField, no dialog]

Option Two

Send Mail [{To: YourTable::YourField}]

I'll try again. My clients each have an e-mail address, that at this time is placed in a text field in my DB. One e-mail text field for each client.

When my client's appointment with me is coming up (typically once monthly), I want to be able to send a reminder notice via e-mail to that client. So, what I would like is to have a script (I guess that is the best way) that will, when I choose, send the information in that text field (i.e., an e-mail address) to the address box of my yahoo account so I can then type the reminder notice in the body of the e-mail and hit send.

If Outlook works better I can use that, but I am most familiar with Yahoo e-mail.

Thanks for being patient.

This Yahoo email that you refer to is web-based email rather than a real email program, right? Forget using that. Really. Absolutely totally not the tool for the job in this case.

Use ANY email program (Eudora, Outhouse, Thunderbird) and using the script steps I gave you above you can automate the sending of emails. What I gave you is the bare-bones version, you can "boilerplate" the body of the emails and generate a subject line as well from within FileMaker so all you have to do is hit "Send". e.g., --

Option One

Open URL ["mailto:"&YourTable::YourField&"?Subject=Your Next Appointment&Body="&YourTable::ClientName&", just wanted to remind you that your next appointment is "&GetAsText(YourTable::NextApptDate)&" at "&GetAsText*YourTable::NextApptTime)&". If you need to cancel call me at least 24 hours in advance at 555-555-1212", no dialog]

Option Two

Send Mail [{To: YourTable::YourField}

{Subject: "Your Next Appointment"}

{Body: "YourTable::ClientName&", just wanted to remind you that your next appointment is "&GetAsText(YourTable::NextApptDate)&" at "&GetAsText*YourTable::NextApptTime)&". If you need to cancel call me at least 24 hours in advance at 555-555-1212"}]

You can't do any of that using a web-based email program. Your email program understands the command to send email -- if you click a live email link on a web page somewhere and your Operating System has a designated email program, an email will pop up, ready to be sent. Therefore FileMaker is similarly able to instruct your email program to do so. But Yahoo Mail, as accessed via a web browser, isn't like that. If you click a live link on a web page, a new browser window doesn't open up to Yahoo and fill in the fields. Because your web browser is oblivious to concepts such as "this is the [i]To[/i] header". It's not what it's build for.

Great,

I have in the past used Eudora, and can work with this as well. I have never had any formal classes for FM, and its learn as i go, with a book or two available from the book store.

So thanks greatly.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.