Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Calculation based on global field value

jazbek

Hello,

Thanks to Ender, I now have a database that functions well to show related records based on a relationship between the related table and a global popup field in my main table. (See http://filemakertoday.com/com/showthread.php?t=10376 ).

For the sake of example, I basically have:

mainTable relatedTable =

mainTable::MainID = relatedTable::MainID

AND mainTable::gField = relatedTable::relatedField

The next thing I want to do is to have a field on each record that contains something along the lines of "no related records exist for this record", or displays nothing if related records exist. I have a calculation:

If ( Count ( relatedTable::relatedField ) > 0 ; "" ; "no related records" )

The calculation works, but only if I actively select the value for gField when I have the record open. How can I trigger the calculation to be evaluated whenever the record is displayed?

Please let me know if you need further clarification or an example file. Thanks in advance!

I am not sure I understand this. This calculation should have the option "Do not evaluate if all referenced fields are empty" deselected. But if it doesn't, then it shouldn't work at all - so I don't know.

Yeah, I have tried it both with and without that box checked. Same result. Field does not calculate unless I click in the global popup field.

Anyone know of any other ways to display a message on a layout if there are no related records? It just looks wrong having 3/4 of my layout full of blank fields...

I figured it out!

Stupidly, I was using a text field with an auto-enter calculation.. instead of just a calculation field. It's been a while since I've used Filemaker, and I guess I'm still getting warmed up!

Thanks for your time. :)

Not without seeing the file. Trouble-shooting is a matter of elimination, so I would make another calculation of just

Count ( relatedTable::relatedField )

and also place a portal on the layout. That should help in locating the source of the problem more precisely.

Bah, it was giving me the "?" when the calculation went onto 2 lines (when either there was a break in the data entry, or the calculated result was too long to fit in the field box). Thanks again.

Important Information

Terms of Use