Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Where can you attach a script besides buttons?

jmek66

This is probably an incredibly newbie question, but....

How can you trigger a script besides (1) on startup and (2) requiring the user to press a button? For example, is there any way to run a script that sorts the data every time the user goes to a specific form?

Thanks for any help.

jeannine

Not without plug-ins. But I don't think you're thinking big enough about how to integrate scripts with the interface.

Well-built solutions use buttons attached to scripts to control all navigation within the solution. When you do it this way, you can have certain navigation buttons also perform Finds and/or Sorts when changing to another layout.

I don't generally have a Sort as part of a simple navigation script because Sorts tend to be a little slow, and the user might be jumping back and forth between the Form and the List. But I do often have a Sort as part of a Find script, so the records are always in the same default order.

Actually, I do have a preferred navigation path via buttons with attached scripts. But I don't want to hide the menus and such from the users, so, inevitably, someone gets to a form that's not in the state they wanted. My biggest problem has been with people performing a Find, going off to another form, and then, when they return to the first form, not understanding why they only see the subset of records from the Find rather than all records. I know this is designed behavior and that it can be very useful, But, for my particular users, it would be better if forms always showed all records in a sorted order when they enter a form.

So where does one get these plug-ins?

jeannine

Not without plug-ins. But I don't think you're thinking big enough about how to integrate scripts with the interface.

Well-built solutions use buttons attached to scripts to control all navigation within the solution. When you do it this way, you can have certain navigation buttons also perform Finds and/or Sorts when changing to another layout.

I don't generally have a Sort as part of a simple navigation script because Sorts tend to be a little slow, and the user might be jumping back and forth between the Form and the List. But I do often have a Sort as part of a Find script, so the records are always in the same default order.

There are plenty of great plug ins around just check the filemaker site, however, this may sound a little "controlling" but I just don't allow my users to perform finds and sort. This said, I don't design out of my natural work environment.

What I do is exactly what Ender says and if there is an area where you know alot of "finding and sorting is needed" then design a layout that provides message boxes, where the user needs to type in what they want to find, and when they select ok you script for their choices, but your find and sort solutions.

I have a form at work that asks users what they want, then I tailor layouts to suit their needs.

Maybe not what you are looking for, but does control the sorting finding functions.

But I don't want to hide the menus and such from the users, so, inevitably, someone gets to a form that's not in the state they wanted.

I think you do need to limit access to the menu through privileges and accounts. Otherwise, this will keep happening, with or without plugins.

I think all your hard work has been in vain if you don't :).

kjoe

Thanks to all for their great answers. I guess I'll just have to be a bit more of a controller where my users are concerned.

Cheers,

jeannine

• 9 months later...

That sounds like a great option by GMRS. Does anyone have an example of how to control navigation via popup menus for an application? I am trying to develop a similar package and sorry... I'm still a newb quickly working my way up the Filemaker ladder thanks to this site.

Important Information

Terms of Use