Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

filemaker pro 8.5 prob...

whirlpool6

guys, im new in using filemaker... i have no idea as to the pros and cons of using this... i have tried other dbms like mysql, and even access...

i was wondering how to access filemaker databases in other pc's?

is it possible to access it using other web languages like php? and if so how?

one more thing, i was exploring filemaker and found out that i can still edit the layout of things when i run it... i dont want my clients to do this... how can i access filemaker in other pc's(client) in such a way that it is no longer editable?

thanks very much guys...

hope this problem of mine can be answered asap...

im building an aplication using filemaker but i dont know how to start especially with the deployment issues...

thanks a lot...

hoping to hear from you guys soon...

im using windows xp by the way.

ok lets make this simpler...

is there a way to deactivate/remove the menu bar( File, Edit, ...)?

how/where can i run filemaker so that the clients can no longer edit the layout? can't use shortcut methods? etc...

how to deploy filemaker files within my network? that is let others edit/add/delete records but not edit the layout in my network...

thanks a lot....

ok lets make this simpler...

is there a way to deactivate/remove the menu bar( File, Edit, ...)?

how/where can i run filemaker so that the clients can no longer edit the layout? can't use shortcut methods? etc...

how to deploy filemaker files within my network? that is let others edit/add/delete records but not edit the layout in my network...

thanks a lot....

You can restrict user access to menu bar, specific layouts, specific views (browse, find) even specific fields and tables using a combination of robust navigation and privilege settings. For the latter, look into menu bar -> file ->define...->accounts and privileges.

If you have 8.5 Advanced, you can create custom menu bars. "Advanced" is the developer edition of Filemaker. If you're planning to build a solution that's anything close to sophisticated, it's probably a good investment to get a copy of this as it has several handy developer tools and functionality.

Filemaker is very suitable for use in a network. You can use either a normal copy as host (for a small, limited use network) or Filemaker Server. Filemaker Server comes in two incarnations: "server" and "server advanced". The latter is for really heavy duty use and allows for sophisticated web hosting. Simple, quick and dirty hosting is allowed by "Instant Web Publishing", which is available in Pro and "Fm Server" alike.

You should best take a look at http://www.filemaker.com for product specs to choose the best server solution for you.

kjoe

thanks for the response...

but im wondering, if i wont buy filemaker pro advance, will i not be able to hide the menu bar(file, edit, etc... bar)?

may i just ask, what other things can filemaker server do?

thanks a lot...

There will always be a menu bar, but it may have only very basic options (quit app for instance). And no, it's only possible to do this with FM Advanced.

Server is essentially a hosting app. It has some admin tools for instance, scheduled backups. Even with a limited number of guests it gives much better performance than when using Pro as host.

I can't tell you much beyond that for server 8. (I'm running server 5.5 at the moment hosting a v6 solution - my server 8 is still in the box awaiting rollout). Best go to http://www.filemaker.com or make a phone call and get a sales rep to talk to you.

kjoe

PS if you really want to hide the menu bar then you can use FM Advanced to compile a runtime kiosk solution for you. But this is always standalone, as far as I know you can't make a networked kiosk solution.

AFAIK, you can enable kiosk mode for any file - without turning it into a runtime. It will run as a kiosk for any user except admin. Haven't tried this on a network, though.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.