Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

8.5 Messing Up Fonts on Layout

Whittier

I recently installed 8.5 and found that a font (ENGRAVERS GOTHIC BT) was misaligned on a layout and the data no longer fit inside the field boxes. When I opened the same file in V 8.03 - all was well again. I'm assuming something has changed in 8.5 regarding font support, but I have no idea what - nor have I seen anythinng written or mentioned. Any ideas or thoughts?

Mac OS X 10.4

Thanks in advance

I'm having the same problem on databases that I designed almost 8 years ago Opps!, using the font TIMES NEW ROMAN, which I chose hoping for ease of cross platform support (yes, I'm even using it here).

When I open the files with V8.5 the vertical line spacing seems to be increased by app. 10 percent. When I go back to V8 everything works fine.

Anyone else experiencing this ?

P.S. Howdy to everyone, I was a FileMaker 1.0 user.... so stop looking to see how old I am smiley-tongue-out

Yes - it appears not to be our imagination. 8.5 is mucking about with font sizes for some fonts - though no one seems to know why, and Filemaker is mum on the subject. Perhaps some light will be cast on the subject from Devcon?

I suspect it has to do with some true type font support - or lack of it in 8.5. Just a guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again -

Did any one hear abything at DevCon about this, by any chance?

What are the odds that FM will fix this problem in any furture 8.5.x?

Thanks, in advance.

I, unfortunately, wasn't able to go to DevCon, but just spoke with someone who did. Apparently, FileMaker failed to mention this little piece of information. Here's what they said:

"When they were telling us all the wonderful things about 8v5 they failed to mention that little item."

grs007:

.S. Howdy to everyone, I was a FileMaker 1.0 user.... so stop looking to see how old I am

::waves::

I didn't really get deep into FileMaker until 2.1, although I used 1.0 and some earlier versions to do lists with multiple records on a page, and which would put 4-5 records if the entries were short but only 1-3 if they were longer, via the old Slide & Reduce. (No other tool available could do that easily).

Did you AppleScript your 1.0 solutions to get "verbs"? (That was way beyond me at the time). I'm interested in seeing the maximum / most impressive solutions ever done in FileMaker 1 and before, just to see what the state of the art was back when I was such a newbie.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.