Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Subsorting in a Portal?

iankh

I am wondering if someone might be able to help me.

Is it possible to only show some of the related records in a portal and not all of them, or failing that, group them and not summarize part of the data?

If the related records are something like this:

Category Item

Books Title1

Books Title2

Books Title3

CD Title1

CD Title2

CD Title3

Can I just show books in the portal? Or, summarize the related records like this:

Books Title1

Title2

Title3

CD Title1

Title2

Title3

Thanks.

Hi.

I think both are possible.

The first method would require you to add a second match key, in this case that would be "category". so if you create say a global field "gCategory" in the main table and relate that to the category field in the child table, then make a value list based on the category field in the child table and stick that on the global field, and then relate gCategory to Category AND your original match key, you can view by category.

the other option would be to have the portal sort by category. you can set this in the portal setup dialog. you can't however, create summary headers in a portal if that's what you mean.

kjoe

I'm not sure I understand.

I want to show all the records in the child table, but I want the primary sort to show only once, so in the portal, what I'd like to have happen is have let's say the category books, show once, and then each book title, then the category CDs and then each CD title. So the repetition of the category would be supressed and be something like a header.

Something like:

Books

Book Title

Book Title

Book Title

CDs

CD Title

CD Title

CD Title

Like I said, you can't create summary headers in a portal, only in a layout summary part.

What you can try to do is create a bogus record for each category, create a field PreSort that is auto-enter the number 1 for all records (replace field contents for existing records) but you set it to 0 for the bogus records. Then sort the portal by category first, then by this PreSort field, then by the title.

kjoe

PS

Is it possible to only show some of the related records in a portal and not all of them

I thought you wanted to filter by category? that was my first suggestion.

PS 2, i forgot to mention, in the bogus records, the title field holds the category name.

kjoe,

Thanks your suggestion really helped. I sort of accomplished what I wanted by using a tabbed layout and then filtering by category as you suggested.

I created several gCategory fields and several relationships. The great thing is that it's working and more or less organized.

Your suggestion really helped me think about it differently. Thanks again.

Important Information

Terms of Use