Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

How to copy fields into new table

copies

In an effort to clean up a convoluted database I started working on several years ago, I have decided to move a layout onto a new table. Many of the field definitions are unique to this layout, and I would like to be able to just copy the layout onto the new table, with the fields intact. Then I would like to be able to delete the fields from the original table.

Is there any way to do this in FM Developer?

Can you just duplicate the layout (edit duplicate) and then rename it and feed it off the new table and associate the fields to the new table?

But you would have to make sure the new table has exactly the same field names?

Cheers

I would really like to move the field definitions from the first table to the new table. the only way I know of to do this in Filemaker 7 is to create new fields in the new table, then delete them from original table. I guess I could duplicate the file and then delete all unnecessary layouts, fields, etc from it, and I would wind up with a new file with only that layout on it......but I would prefer to have it as a separate table in the same (original) file.

Does Filemaker 8 provide the ability to copy field definitions from one table to another?

Does Filemaker 8 provide the ability to copy field definitions from one table to another?

No, but FileMaker 8.x Advanced does. smiley_cool

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.