Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Anyway to merge the fields of two tables?

notaclone

I have excel sheets with dozens of data entry fields to import, and a filemaker table with all the behind the scene toys I desire for each table. I am guessing there is no way to avoid the hand entry of one set of fields or the other, but I thought I'd ask!

I'm sure we can work around it, but you have to be a bit more specific....

Do you have an excel file and you want to have data on filemaker? Is that it?

I have excel sheets defining the field names with, w/o data. The client provided many tables, and was kind enough even to list (somewhat) all the fields needed for the new tables. So some have data, some not. I don't care about the data, I just want to grab the field names and stick it in a pre-existing template. (There are 50-80 different field names in each of the three main new tables).

Open the files with Filemaker. Filemaker will create the fieldls using the first row of the table as the field names, but you must make sure that the fields name are on the first Row of each table.

You can import each table separately. Filemaker will create a new table per import. You can then copy the fields from the new tables and paste them onto one table.

Does this solve your problem?

You can then copy the fields from the new tables and paste them onto one table.

Does this solve your problem?

In ONE line! Paid no attention to that copy button behind the curtain.

Doi! FM6 hardwired into the brain. Oh No! Must. Beat. Out.

I did all the data tables imports yesterday, so perfect timing - no time wasted.

Thanks!

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.