Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Log File

wizbangcomputers

I would like to set up a log file for a database. I want to at the very least record the timestamp of when someone modifies a record and who they are. On the great side I would also like to record what they modified. Any suggestions on how to build this?

Thanks,

Scott

You mention log file. Do you really mean a separate file? Like MyFile.log or MyFile.txt or do you want to just want to capture who changed the record and when within your existing FM database?

If you're willing to stay within FM just create some new fields like:

Created_By

Created_Date

Changed_By

Changed_Date

Then checkout the auto-enter options under FILE > DEFINE > DATABASE. On the FIELDS tab, highlight your new field and press the OPTIONS button. On the autoenter tab I think you will find it to be pretty intuitive.

I would like to set up a log file for a database. I want to at the very least record the timestamp of when someone modifies a record and who they are. On the great side I would also like to record what they modified. Any suggestions on how to build this?

Thanks,

Scott

Hi Scott,

The demos at the following links may be of interest to you:

http://www.nightwing.com.au/FileMaker/demos8/demo809.html

http://www.nightwing.com.au/FileMaker/demos7/demo702.html

smiley-wink

You mention log file. Do you really mean a separate file? Like MyFile.log or MyFile.txt or do you want to just want to capture who changed the record and when within your existing FM database?

If you're willing to stay within FM just create some new fields like:

Created_By

Created_Date

Changed_By

Changed_Date

Then checkout the auto-enter options under FILE > DEFINE > DATABASE. On the FIELDS tab, highlight your new field and press the OPTIONS button. On the autoenter tab I think you will find it to be pretty intuitive.

Ted, I have this already in place but the problem is that once modified the previous information is lost. I am looking for something within the FM that will record each change made to a record after the creation of the record. This way I can explain when odd things happen how and do did it.

Thanks,

Scott

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.