Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Label Creation

DocD

Alrighty, I am using FM8 on a PC. What I am attempting to accomplish is to utilize my fields for creating labels. However, I mean I do know how to accomplish this, but I don't know how I can use a sheet of 30 (Avery 5160 as an example) but specify which one of the 30 spots to print on. I sometimes only print one label at a time...and I would hate to waste the remaining unused labels...

Can I use Microsoft Word to merge the fields and perhaps solve this?

Much thanks to you all!

DocD smiley-undecided

even if you did succeed in pinpointing an exact label, I think you may run into trouble, as passing a sheet of labels through a printer repeatedly might cause jams, especially if labels are missing... a label might just be very slightly loose and then end up on your toner drum...

perhaps you should look into these tiny one-label printers. Far as I know they connect through USB. I have no experience with them however so I do not know how they work together with filemaker. But I don't really see why they shouldn't.

kjoe

ps like this one. mind you, for 99 bucks you can throw out a lot of unprinted labels :P

We use the same printer that kjoe is recommending. They work great. We print tens of thousands of labels every year using these little printers. They don't last forever but they don't waste anything and they're always ready to go--meaning they're never busy printing some 8-1/2 x 11 job. They hook to FM just like any other printer. Maybe this is obvious but your layout will need to be formatted to fit the size of the label.

thanks Ted.

for the sake of the exercise, here's a demo to show it can be done in filemaker without merging with Word. But use it on a printer at your own risk

kjoe

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.