Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Upgrade the database?

Kensg

Hello,

I am working on the copy of the customer's database filemaker software and made some changes with its structure ( add more fields, scripts, layouts and create news relationship between tables as well as dummy records).

a. After done, how could i come back and upgrade my original customer's database?

b. I had the field with auto-enter serial number ( the value right now is 17). I wonder after ugrading, whether the serial number start at 1 ( i want it begins from 1).

c. I also want the customer couldn't revise my database's structure, i try to create a user privileges to do that but i don't know how to assign to them that mode. Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Kensg

a. After done, how could i come back and upgrade my original customer's database?

After a backup of both and old files , You need to import the records from your customers db into the upgraded version

b. I had the field with auto-enter serial number ( the value right now is 17). I wonder after ugrading, whether the serial number start at 1 ( i want it begins from 1).

Same as above only make sure that when you import the auto entry options is turn on (import option)

c. I also want the customer couldn't revise my database's structure, i try to create a user privileges to do that but i don't know how to assign to them that mode. Please advise.

You need to setup a master password (with all the rights)

and an user passowrd with only editing rights (no scripts , no exports, no defining)

In the preferences for the file there is a option to use password at startup. Here you enter the user password.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

My database has 22 files fp7( they are linked to others). I developed that database. After developing, i had some dummy records and new field as well as new relationshipin the new version, so i needed to erase all my records in the new version. Right now, my database has only the empy fields. And i use "import" function to upgrade my old db version to my new one.

My question is : Could the order that i import the files affect the result or i could import in randomly order?

Thanks,

Kensj

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.