Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

PDF filename preset

bobak

i have a filemaker file and whenever i go to print a file as a PDF it has a name preset for it called "buildings" I have tried to set the print options in print script steps to change this but it always displays the preset name when ever i go to print a file as a PDF.

just wondering if anyone knew how to change the preset to display the standard "untitled" or some custom name.

Here is how to set a custom name using a variable (actually, the only way to do this)

On your script and before the "Save as PDF" script step, insert this step:

Set Variable:

Variable Name: $$Name

Value: "YourChoice", (this can be a calculated value)

Now, on the specify output file of the "Save as PDF" script step, insert $$Name immediately after the path.

You have to play around with this to get a handle.

Good Luck!

Here is how to set a custom name using a variable (actually, the only way to do this)

On your script and before the "Save as PDF" script step, insert this step:

Set Variable:

Variable Name: $$Name

Value: "YourChoice", (this can be a calculated value)

Now, on the specify output file of the "Save as PDF" script step, insert $$Name immediately after the path.

You have to play around with this to get a handle.

Good Luck!

I'm not using the Safe as pdf script step. i'm using a print script step that just brings up the operating systems print dialogue. and there is a PDF option, if i choose save as pdf there, it get this this unwanted name pre entered and the same applies if i go to file > print. using the filemaker menu.

i believe that the file it self has a setting to have this changed, just cant seem to find where..

Why not just use the Filemaker "Save as pdf" script step?

Because its not the solution to the problems and it would mean adding an extra dialogue or script parameter and button for no reason. and even if i did do that, there would be nothing stopping people from pressing the save as pdf button when they go to print anyway.

i just need to know how to change the option in the file that makes filemaker auto enter that information for print settings on this filemaker file.

Why all of a sudden adding a button has become such a complex solution. I personally think that the "Save as pdf" should be the "only" solution for generating pdf files from a Filemaker database. I mean, the way you sound, I don't quite think you've used it; If I'm right, then this would be a great opportunity for you to learn something that has become one of the best new features of Filemaker.

Give it a shot!

I agree with bobak that the proposed solution does not address the question as asked. And Save As PDF is not available in runtime, so the question is valid.

Unfortunately, AFAIK there's no answer, at least not from within Filemaker (might be possible with AppleScript or VBScript?).

I agree with bobak that the proposed solution does not address the question as asked. And Save As PDF is not available in runtime, so the question is valid.

Unfortunately, AFAIK there's no answer, at least not from within Filemaker (might be possible with AppleScript or VBScript?).

Thank you for understanding. and the problem is that filemaker has got a name preset in this file i am working on for pdf file names. so it must have been set somewhere in the past therefore it must be possible to change it.

It is possible to change the preset name to another PRESET name (i.e. you will get the SAME name every time you print to PDF). To do this, clone your file under the desired name, and import your records. You can then rename the new file to whatever you want.

It is possible to change the preset name to another PRESET name (i.e. you will get the SAME name every time you print to PDF). To do this, clone your file under the desired name, and import your records. You can then rename the new file to whatever you want.

i tired to save as copy, and it didnt work

Oops, sorry - you are right. I forgot that is one thing that cloning won't cure. I'm afraid there's no solution to this, other than remaking the file from scratch. I now recall that I once tried opening a file in a text editor and replacing the name, but Filemaker rejected the "corrected" file.

EDIT: With 8 Advanced, you can create a new file and import most of the stuff from the old one - so it's not THAT difficult, if it's important to you.

Could it be that this is stored deeply in prefs files? I know that these are program related and not file related. And I scanned the plist files for filemaker; they seem to only store default file paths. Nevertheless... it may even be hidden in the pdf printer driver prefs.

I do realize it's clutching at straws.

kjoe

I believe preferences files store the preferences for the application, not individual files. My guess is that the file stores its name in more than one location. One location is a register where OS X looks to get the default name for printing to PDF. There's a bug in that this register is not updated when file is renamed. It also sems that hacking the register messes up some controlling checksum.

I believe preferences files store the preferences for the application, not individual files. My guess is that the file stores its name in more than one location. One location is a register where OS X looks to get the default name for printing to PDF. There's a bug in that this register is not updated when file is renamed. It also sems that hacking the register messes up some controlling checksum.

That sucks.

... the problem is that filemaker has got a name preset in this file i am working on for pdf file names.

The name it is using is the original file name. I had one system that was originally called "Lisa" by the developer and later was rename to "PromiseNet." Now if you print and then use the 'save as pdf' button it pops up with "Lisa.pdf" every time. Somewhere this information is stored inside the file and to my knowledge the developer has no access over it.

Comment is right, the only way to ‘correct’ this is to start over with a new file.

Personally I would rather script it.

This problem is not particular to filemaker it seems. If I print to PDF from MS Word, it suggests me to use the name "Formatting Palette.pdf" instead of the filename, which in a way is even sillier than a formerly used filename.

My guess is the developers of the OS, of ADOBE PDF and of the productive softwares need to sit down in a room with a flipover block and sort it out. A pref setting would be nice.

kjoe

Is it possible that "Formatting Palette" is the name of the active window at the time? Your example only strengthens my belief that OS X requires the developer to provide a 'printing name' at a specific location (or as a parameter in calling the OS printing service). A well written application will normally provide the name of the active window. Filemaker is not - and it sems that neither is Word (how surprising..).

The "formatting palette" is a floating tools palette for setting font size, style &c. I usually have it open. Since it's the frontmost window at all times (you can't hide it under the document window), it's probably what gets picked. But, when I tried the following: I closed the palette and tried again. then it suggested "Adobe Acrobat PDFMaker.pdf". I cancelled, opened the formatting palette, typed some text, selected print to pdf, it suggested the filename. Then I changed some formatting, and "formatting palette.pdf" popped back. no matter if I then typed into the document window. :confused:

Ah well, it's only one of the minor issues I have with Word.

Back to filemaker. Henk is right about the file size. see also here.

so scripting using the print command seems a way out.

kjoe

• 2 months later...

filemaker has a knowledge base article on this very issue.

it was driving me batty as well.

http://filemaker.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/filemaker.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=6180

their suggested workaround:

"RESOLUTION:

FileMaker is aware of this issue with the FileMaker products listed above.

A workaround would to move the file to the Windows platform and perform a Print (to any driver). This will remove the Macintosh settings and replace them with the Windows ones. Then move the files back to the Mac and the next print will restore the settings for the currently selected default printer with the correct file name."

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.