Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

I lost my password please help me

mrinal1979

I lost my user name and password for my datavese i m using 8.5 please help me a sthat database is very important for collage report if i will not submit it on time i will get failed please help me in getting some grade in my exam.............. Please help me out. i m using windows xp

that is a great solution, coolboy i've used it before and it works fine. however it does make me question the safety and security of a filemaker account.

If i was to have a developer account on a file that i gave to a client and i didnt, nothing would stop them form extracting the password and having my developer rights. unless there is something i am missing.

Hi bobak,

I agree with you. However, if you come to think about it, are there any password-protected softwares that have not been accessed by people without the password. I guess we just have to trust who gets the files we make.

Software is just too easy to crack.

Hi bobak,

I agree with you. However, if you come to think about it, are there any password-protected softwares that have not been accessed by people without the password. I guess we just have to trust who gets the files we make.

Software is just too easy to crack.

or use filemaker advance to remove admin access form the file before giving it to a client.

Hi Guys,

I thought you could only remove admin access from FMP runtine. Can you also remove it from a standard solution?

James

Yes I have just tried it and you can remove admin rights from a 'normal' solution.

That begs the question - If you are distributing a solution across a number of clients (say an industry specific solution rather than a bespoke solution for 1 client) wouldn't it be safer to remove the rights on all distributed copies, particularly if you have some clever calcs or other expert tricks in there that you wouldn't want anyone to see how you did it?

Are there drawbacks to this approach?

Phil

Yes I have just tried it and you can remove admin rights from a 'normal' solution.

That begs the question - If you are distributing a solution across a number of clients (say an industry specific solution rather than a bespoke solution for 1 client) wouldn't it be safer to remove the rights on all distributed copies, particularly if you have some clever calcs or other expert tricks in there that you wouldn't want anyone to see how you did it?

Phil

Hi Phil.

I've been digging through my files trying to find one I got from Harry Glos just shortly after FMP 7 came out. As I remember he handled it within a startup script making it virtually impossible to crack the solution. Do you know anything about that?

James

• 4 weeks later...

I follow the discussion about handing out a solution and trying to prevent the admin password from being hacked. But here is a different question, if I am making my solution available via TCP/IP and standard port (but not the actual file in someone elses possession), is there a way for someone to hack into my database beside "guessing" the password.

Ultimately, my question is : without a password, can someone get though the network access into a database for example with buffer overflow or other port80 hack techniques? assuming of course that there is no access rights without a password.

A second question is what the secure sharing in server does. I assume that hands the information over SSL which makes it encoded which means it is slower but also does not make the password any more secure, just safer from intercepts, is that correct?

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.