Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

2.1 to 8.5 Upgrade (Mac)

craigah

Hi.

Any advice would be most welcome regarding an upgrade from FileMaker Pro 2.1 (Performa 5260 [no cd writer]) to version 8.5 (iMac PowerPC G4).

Database size is 7mb and is currently backed up to a parallel port zip100 drive which will not connect to the iMac.

Thank you in anticipation.

Kind regards

Craig (Mac newbie!)

Hi Craigah.

try using email.

if both machines have ethernet on board you can set up a TCP link; if both have FireWire you can use that; otherwise try borrowing a USB zip drive from someone. It's probably a SCSI zip not parallel port-- if you have a wintel machine with a SCSI card (and a CD writer... :P) you can probably use that as a roundabout route.

last option is to rip out the hard drive of the performa and put it in a tower model G4 or desktop G3, mount it as a slave disc (I actually did this once with a HD that had system 7 on it to retrieve data into OS 9.x).

btw. you can't import directly from an older version into version 8, you need to convert first. Since version 8 can't convert version 2.1 (only 3.x and up) you need an intermediate file. You can probably export from v2.1 as a tab or comma delimited text file and import that into a newly defined version 8 database. the tab delim text file will be smaller also, making the email route more feasible (if that's a performa with a dialup modem on board....).

another option might be to convert the file to for instance version 3 first and then converting to version 8. You'd need to get version 3 then. may be a bit convoluted. Depending on the database, it may be a good idea to design your solution from scratch anyway, since version 8 is radically different from version 2, for starters it's relational.

good luck, post again if you need further assistance

kjoe

Hi Kjoe,

Thanks for the information.

Beginning to think it's beyond my fledgling mac skills.

Network link with crossover cable (or I do have a switch) would probably be my preferred option for file transfer, but not so confident about the database conversion.

Kind regards

Craig

Well if you've got the ethernet link you should be OK on the data transfer from the performa into the imac. The rest is Filemaker, more or less platform independent.

I must say that I haven't used version 2.1 since more than a decade nor do I have a copy anymore. But I'm pretty sure that you can create an export file with tab or comma delimited text (which would mean, the fields are separated by tabs or comma's, and the records by line feed). These import smoothly into version 8. But you've got to build your version 8 database first! If you need any assistance doing this, feel free to post.

kjoe

Not sure if this is plan 'B' or 'C', but thinking now it would be a lot easier to do a clean install of 2.1 on the iMac and just transfer the existing database file over.

Plug in a new usb backup device on the iMac and Bob's yer uncle.

Anyone know where I can get a copy of 2.1 in the U.K.?

Craig

I have grave doubts whether that scenario will work. You see over the years the apple system architecture has changed a lot. FM version 2.1 was developed for Mac system 6 or 7. I'm not sure it will even run under "classic" mode anymore (that's mac OS 9.x emulated by OS X) but certainly not under OS X.

Version 2.1 fit on one floppy disc, to my knowledge it was never distributed on CD.

So it's kind of a long shot.

I still think you have two options:

1) export as tab-delim or comma delim text and import into a newly built version 8 solution

2) try to locate someone who has either version 3 or version 4 and see if this will convert your original 2.1 file; then you can convert this in a second step to version 8. I'm not sure what you'll run into using method #2. My preferred strategy would be #1 which seems the most robust, both on the data transfer level and on the solution you're going to end up with.

good luck

kjoe

• 1 month later...

For what it's worth by now.

I stumbled across this reference in the knowledge base. See the paragraph entitled CONVERTING REALLY OLD FILEMAKER PRO FILES: It points to download sites for trial versions of FM6. which will convert version 2 according to the reference. pretty neat if you have 2 and 8 and nothing in between.

kjoe

I have FileMaker 2.1 and have no problems whatsoever running it under the Classic environment.

FileMaker 2.1 files can be converted by FileMaker 6, 5.5., or 5 (yielding an 'fp5' file which FileMaker 7 or 8 can then convert).

I can convert your FileMaker 2.1 files to "fp7" format if you wish.

Many thanks for the continuing support for this topic.

I will try the FM6 option myself but would appreciate it if 'ahunter3' would advise an email address to which I could send the version 2 database file(s) for conversion to fp7.

Kind regards

Craig

Hi Allan,

You truly deserve the title filemaker guru - fantastic conversion.

.fp7 files opened up first time with fm8.

Wonderful seeing the old database in all it's new glory.

Many many thanks

Kindest regards

Craig

p.s. case closed

Many thanks to all who have contributed to this thread, even those who have not posted but given it some thought - it is truly appreciated.

Special thanks to A Hunter for performing a successful conversion for me - respect.

Kind regards

Craig

The structure of 2.1 to be converted to 8.5 could be dangerous.

Mabye exporting your data to csv file and rewrite a new file in 8.5

then import your data....

.....but that's only my 3 cents (inflation)

Well, there are a tiny handful of possible "gotchas" like found sets of 0(FileMaker 2 would never give you a found set of 0, would always error-message out and do an automatic Find All instead; FileMaker 2 scripts might therefore never anticipate that situation which later versions of FileMaker do experience)...and in rare circumstances the possibly different anticipated behavior of the old Today function versus Get(CurrentDate)...

Mostly, you run into more problems upgrading from FileMaker 3/4 or 5/6 to modern 7/8 than you do upgrading from 2 or even more ancient versions.

in this case, I've seen the OPs file, and it's a single-file Fm2 solution with very little complexity in the scripts. I wouldn't worry much about compatibility gotchas.

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your input.

So far haven't encountered any problems following the conversion, just going through all the forms etc. right now.

Kind regards

Craig

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.